EXPLORE CANBERRA WITH CAPITAL SOCKS! - THE BEST THINGS TO SEE & DO IN CANBERRA:
It will come as no surprise that we’re incredibly passionate about Canberra (aka, the birthplace of Capital Socks).
Canberra is a city that boasts exciting cultural experiences, picture-perfect natural settings, bustling nightlife, mouth-watering foodie explorations…and much more!
That’s why we want to share our Canberra highlight reel with you, and that includes a range of the best things to do in Canberra.
Whether you’re a local to the capital or just visiting; we’re confident you’ll find a lot to love in our list below:
Image by Erna
Floriade may be the closest you get to the famed tulip fields of The Netherlands this year!
This floral festival has been held annually for over 30 years, and is an incredible display of hundreds of thousands of colourful blooms (make sure you have your brightest socks on to match).
It is held in Spring (mid-September to October) each year in Canberra’s Commonwealth Park and attracts almost half a million visitors. Best of all? Entry is free!
What to expect: gorgeous artistic displays and sculptures adorned with florals, as well as entertainment (think: Ferris Wheel, pop up shops like us, etc!). There is also a spectacular night time festival, illuminated by decorative lights. Be sure to book your ticket online before your visit.
Image by Carmella Lee
CANBERRA OLD BUS DEPOT MARKETS
Arguably considered the best markets in Canberra, you might have guessed that they are held at the Old Bus Deport (near Capital Hill).
There’s no better way to spend a Sunday than browsing through an eclectic range of hand-crafted goods (clothing, jewellery, art, crafts and more).
You can also fill your tummy with treats from the food stalls whilst enjoying performances from local musicians.
The Lowdown: Open most Sundays from 9:30-2:30pm at 21 Wentworth Ave, Kingston. Free entry!
Image by Sal
LAKE BURLEY GRIFFIN
This list would not be complete without a visit to possible the most notable landmark in Canberra: Lake Burley Griffin! It’s so much more than “just another lake” – we promise!
Besides walking around and soaking in the serenity, there are lots of fun activities you can partake in, such as:
- Picnic in the surrounding parkland
- Bike on the cycling path
- Row, sail or windsurf
- Go for a dip in the water
- Take a Segway Tour (harder than it looks)!
- Enjoy a scenic lake cruise
- Hire a kayak or paddleboard and explore the secluded coves and islands
- Grab a bite at the café or restaurants around the lake and relax and take in the views
Image by Sal
THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIA + NATIONAL GALLERY OF AUSTRALIA
The National Museum of Australia is full of unique exhibitions from Australia and around the world, and has a huge collection on display to visit.
Meanwhile, the National Gallery of Australia features a wide range of masterpieces, and ever-evolving collection of paintings, sculptures and other artworks from brilliant Australian and world-renowned artists. Oh, and the outdoor garden is not to be missed!
The Finer Details: Both of these cultural gems are open daily and can be found near Lake Burley Griffin. They can be completed in as little (or as much) time as you like. Take a few hours in the mornings or afternoon, or set aside an entire day to enjoy the entire area!
Image by Cottonbro
CANBERRA’S BEST OUTDOOR CINEMAS
Why sit inside a stuffy cinema when you can watch a movie in the moonlight of the great outdoors? Plus, there’s also fresh popcorn, yummy snacks from food trucks and a glass (or two) of bubbly if you so choose (from the fully licenced bar).
Sunset Cinema is located in the Australian National Botanic Gardens Canberra, and the season generally runs from the end of November-Feb each year.
The Lowdown: There’s a huge range of classic favourites and new release films to choose from – so you can watch the stars on the big screen while under the stars.
Image by Pixabay
Canberra has a mouth-watering food scene, with so many venues using the freshest local, seasonal produce in delicious, innovative ways – sure to delight your tastebuds.
Here are some of our favourite suggestions for you to explore:
- The Cupping Room – one of the best breakfasts in the city – with classic brunch faves and some flavourful surprises.
- Sweet Bones – a vegan café and bakery: treats, treats, treats!!!
- Raku Japanese – a modern sushi bar with an extensive drink’s menu!
- Lazy Su – a tasty pan-Asian eatery with a raw bar and dedicated vegan menu
- Courgette – after something a little fancier? Courgette offers Modern European dining with an a la carte or degustation menu and extensive wine list
- Tipsy Bull – a relaxed atmosphere, contemporary share plates and scrumptious cocktails and spirits await you
- Capital Brewing – a local run, sustainably focused taphouse, with some very refreshing craft beverages
- Capital Region Farmers Market – with over 100 stalls weekly, this market offers freshly grown and handpicked produce. 7 - 11:30 on Saturdays but be on time as you don’t want to miss the amazing croissants!
- Truffle Farm – yes, an actual truffle farm! When in season (late May to early September each year), you can book tickets (a limited number available) to visit the farm for a truffle hunt.
You’ll follow the trained truffle hunting dog as it searches through the truffle trees. Get involved with digging them up and helping him if you wish! Then enjoy a truffle tasting (6 courses to be precise). It’s a very special experience indeed!
We hope you’ve enjoyed our list of our favourite things to see and do in this wonderful city (which just between you and us, are some of the best things to do in Canberra).
Go forth and enjoy our capital…and why not immortalise your love for the burra’ or your experience in town with a pair of Capital Socks – with bespoke, original Australiana-inspired artwork, designed by local artists!